Bygballe's blog

misc. from the everyday life of Rikke B

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

JUDGE RIKKE?

Welcome to the sometimes surreal life of Rikke B!

Just as I FINALLY get a position at one department, and the future starts to get really interesting; the past few months I have tried to relax about looking too much at the future, since I didn’t have ANY IDEA WHATSOEVER of what to expect – and didn’t dare hope too much – well that situation has changed! Now it seams the “oranges” has tuned in on me again and someone is throwing them – and lots of the – hard at my turban! (I don’t know if this idiom translates, but it means that my luck has changed and opportunity is knocking HARD at my door!)
Seems that some of the people in my network remembers me and when they see opportunity, they act on if and push it my way. I’m grateful and very happy right now. And somewhat put in a dilemma…

But, everything has to be placed in a certain perspective, and my perspective on the world has changed a bit (something this Cry Baby needed!)…

I recently had my first experience as a “Domsmand” (a civil citizen who assists in the judgement of criminals along with the appointed judges). I’ve signed up for this duty because I feel obligated to be an active participant in the democracy I’m fortunate enough to live in. I know it might sound very idealistic (and maybe hard to believe), by I actually try to “practice what I preach” and I’ve always felt lucky to live in such a great country as Denmark. (Except maybe when I have a hard time finding a job and consider Australia as my new home… the forms ARE printed! Or if the Danes act to spoiled and narrow-minded… I actually don’t mind the weather (!) but I was born and raised on a farm in the countryside… besides, I’ve always kind of liked rain…) Today is a beautiful sunny day (a bit windy though…) and May is absolutely my favourite time of year!
Anyway… I’ve been joking a bit about this “judge-duty” I have… and extra source of income (bribe…) and my chance to get back at that pickpocket who stole my wallet last year… As I’ve experienced before; it rarely turns out the way you planned it in real life… And the case that I took part in was not a “funny” little experience… It was a tragedy and it was ugly! My role in it (actually being part of the judgement, deciding the punishment and being part of deciding that another human gets to spend several years behind bars…) was a life-changing experience. I guess I’m not as naive and blue-eyed any more…
I have to share some more on this experience, but now I have to go. I’m going for dinner a friend and some of her friends, and I’ll just LOVE to talk about something else that research (after the intense week of PhD-summer school last week…) and today’s great brainstorm with my supervisor.

Until then; take care of eachother out there! …and PLEASE be good to the children, they need us to love and protect them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home